Now part of the Benefice of Athelney - along with the parishes of Stoke St Gregory, Lyng and Burrowbridge - North Curry's Parish Church is frequently referred to as 'The Cathedral of the Moors'.
It was built on a site of an earlier Norman church in about 1300 in the Decorated style, using Ham Hill stone, blue lias, and some grey sandstone from a quarry within the parish. About a hundred years later it was updated in the Perpendicular style when the roofs of the nave and aisles were raised to accommodate larger windows.
Evidences of the original pitches can be seen both outside on the south and east faces of the tower and inside on its west arch. At this time the upper stage of the tower and the parapets were added, as was the interesting collection of gargoyles and hunkypunks.
The North Curry Parish Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials date from 1539 and are almost complete.
The octagonal tower supports eight bells, the heaviest weighing just over 16cwt, most of which date from 1811, although it is evident there were bells here for a long time before then - records go back to 1586. The present clock was installed in 1895 (replacing others which have existed since the 1500s).
The churchyard, just over two acres (or just under one hectare) in total, is in two parts, the lower 'new' part has been in use since 1952. The upper 'old' part has gravestones that are centuries old, and is visited from time to time by those who wish to trace their ancestry. To help them, a plan of the graves, complete with the names of the occupants, has been prepared and can be found in the church porch. The whole of the churchyard is carefully managed to preserve the natural flora and fauna of the area.
A more detailed history to accompany a tour of the church can be found inside the church entrance.